Wednesday 27 May 2009

Housekeeping





It didn't occur to me to post pictures of the LOs I'd done with the journalling - so busy was I blaming Shimelle for my new garden furniture requirements! Well, you wanted to see, so here are a couple - the style of the actual LOs are very different to mine, and that's a real discipline for me; I want to keep the whole project looking cohesive. (Although Shimelle probably won't recognise her style much here either!) But the 'not my style' effort is a good thing, not least because the journalling becomes an intrinsic part of the 'design' rather than the added tag or two. Despite everything, this is also the first project that I've journalled in the first person. On the basis that it's an 'all about me' album, that's not a surprise, but again, I find it a challenge. There are some LOs that could easily become more sentimental than I intend - that's definitely Book of Me territory rather than Everyone Has A Story, so overall, this project is a great stretch!
I fell into involvement with a Pass It Forward (PIF) recently, via Vicky's blog. The requirement is to spread a bit of fun really, and to undertake to send a small gift to five different people at some stage in the next year. Now, for me, that's way too long a deadline..how on earth will I remember that? And worse, how on earth will I deal with the guilt of forgetting - because I already know that I will! So, I'm going to do it within a shorter time frame if that's alright with you Ann, Ginny, Pam, Teresa and Kit (do you mind if I call you Kit, Katherine?). What I need from you gals is an email with your postal address (yes again, Ginny...I know, I know!). The idea of course,is to perpetuate the PIF, do the same for five other people and display the picture thingy on your blog when you get your head around it! I'm the last person to make anything like this an obligation, so if you don't wanna - don't. Ask my friends. I break EVERY chain email and text; they drive me nuts and hey look everyone, I'm still living and breathing and no-one I know ever got traced through emails to benefit from Marks & Spencer vouchers and I haven't been visited by a big american soldier because I failed to forward propaganda either. You can take my support as read, but don't tell me what to do; it makes me very stubborn! Oh sorry, I set myself off there! All I wanted to say really was that I'm passing forward because I thought it would be fun. For me. Receive my bit of nonsense for what it is - a bit of a physical 'hello' from a cyber chum, don't let it be any sort of pressure.
And finally, just because I thought it looked like fun on my work table this morning, have a look at the cover of a CD holder that I'm working on...I'm down to do a workshop for such things at Kraft Crazy in a fortnight and decided it would probably be polite and possibly prudent to provide shopkeeper gal with some samples!
It's a clear set by Stampendous, and now I've opened it, it'll probably be very used - love those springy arms! Incidentally, while I'm in a fighting mood and to prove that I'm too tenacious for my own good - the packaging on this set recommends 'rubbing alcohol' as one of the cleaning mediums for these clear stamps. Huh? Wasn't I told about 10 posts ago not to use any alcohol based products on clear stamps? No wonder it makes me stubborn when I'm told what to do - it conflicts with what I've already been told to do. I bet if I had springy arms and a tummy like a washing machine I wouldn't be so easy to wind up!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Great LOs. Cute robot. I love him!

voodoo vixen said...

LOL, you always make me smile with your writing! And yes, I love those springy robot arms too... haven't gone the get robot stash yet... can't think of any use for it... but your wee robot with the springy arms could turn up in a mini book or two!! ;)

Lyn said...

I am a firm believer of "proper" Pay/Pass it Forward - I reckon that, if you give, you get, even if it is a simple anonymous act of kindness, donating to charity instead of just getting rid of perfectly good stuff because it is too much trouble to take it to the shop and so on.

Love the layouts and amounts of jurnalling. It is difficult to scrap outside a usual style - I never know if I like the finished article, but it does stretch me and then I find I adapt my own style. Our own work-in-progress us!

Smudgemakes said...

The layouts are great, Julia! I really struggle with journalling too! How hard can it be to tell your own tale? Love the robot, too, but not sure what I would do with it, either!

Teresa said...

Yes, the journalling is important, but most of the time the hardest thing to do. I love reading journalling......on other peoples LO's, their handwriting is always nicer than mine, they have better stories to tell and it always looks better than mine when done!
I have included journalling on a lot of my LO's, and yes, it has been a struggle, but I also know that it is part of what scrapbooking is all about, leaving something about me and mine so that when I have lost the plot completely, the thousands of photographs that I take will mean something to those who have had to choose the nice home that I will be living in by then :)

Pressies, I love pressies Mrs Dunnit! Will e-mail address to you right now :)

Jo Power said...

I love journaling although sometimes I struggle with it and I do tend to hide it behind photo's or just think I will do it later only to find that later never happens.
Love the layouts they are great. xx

Claire said...

Great LO's Julia. Love the Robot stamp too.
x

Ginny said...

you can send me some of your mojo I haven't scrapped in soooo long I forget the last time..

Fab LOs and that little guy is sooooooo cute...

Angie said...

The clear stamp controversy makes me smile as it seems so common that one is told one thing and then the complete opposite is also said to be told. How are we poor mortals supposed to know what to do!!
As far as journalling is concerned I HATE my handwritting and when I do write on a LO I really feel dissatisfied with the final result. Most of the time I use the computer on a handwritting font. I know we should do it by hand for posterity but I would like to enjoy the finished LO while I'm still around!!!!!!