Friday 15 May 2009

Oh do grow up.

Well now...years (decades) ago when I was a child, we lived in Germany. Back then, even before the Sony Walkman had been invented - gasp, British Forces Broadcasting did not extend to television. But my mother, the sainted AP, was (and is) skilled at entertaining us and for years, we collectively had an interest in the Eurovision Song Contest. Largely because on the radio or later on the tv, it was broadcast in English, involved music and betting and voting and was generally turned into fun for us. I've never been able to shake this off, and certainly since Miss Dnnit was old enough to participate, we've had a Eurovision party. By which I mean that after a meal cobbled together from edible parts of the host country's national dishes, the grown ups sit in the conservatory and drink whilst the kids use the lounge to play in and keep an eye on the telly, callling us in for bizarre or extraoridnary acts. I make our guests draw a country when they get here, and half way through the contest (if I remember, and that depends on the strength of the host country's national drink), people are allowed to trade their betting slips. For the men, this often becomes a sub-bet on the better looking acts rather than quality of erm, music. Anyway, if we're still capable at the end of the contest, Miss Dunnit awards the winner with a medal that she made about 10 years ago, and a bar of chocolate -and that's only if it has survived the coffee stage of the meal. It's all good stuff, I get to continue a bit of a family tradition and nobody suffers. Nice! This year I decided to mix it up a bit, invite different people - you know, let others in on this slightly guilty secret fun! Well, in the best traditions, I issued invites to 5 sets of friends. Two responded imediately - stalwarts of our tradition, so knowing what they were in for. Two weeks passed and I hadn't heard a dicky bird from the others. I won't be specific, but I know it was 'PMT week' chez Dunnit...because it's the only way I can explain my actions: I texted (brave, huh!)a withdrawal of the invitation. Still can't quite believe my petulance, but it went something along the lines of - if they can't be bothered to even respond in the negative, I sure as hell can't be bothered to go to (some) trouble to throw a party which will include having to cook russian food. I know it was unreasonable, I know I should actually have just asked them for a response, but I didn't, so there. And in my defence, none of these invitees responded to that either! Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face - there we are, a fortnight before Eurovision and no plans. (Stick you bottom lip out at this point to experience the way I was feeling). I became Mrs Bountiful, and invited OTHER people. (I know, I know, how childish.) Consequently, the rest of today will be spent in the kitchen..I have blinis, some sort of casserole and of course, pavlova to make for rather more people than normal! May serve me right, but I'm looking forward to it. And, of course, never one to lose sight of the story, these guest do know the true story - their, erm 'B' list status as it were, but they're still happy to come and eat and drink at our table, so it can't be all bad! But ask yourself this - do I sound like the sort of woman you really want in your birthday book? Personally, I think I sound like a monstrous lunatic, but dear interweb, this blogging thing is a cathartic process, and sending this confession off into the www may well be all it takes to pull me back into some sort of adult mind set. This or 3 dozen blinis!

Card made from Jolly Nation's Big Word decoupage papers - nice 3 step stuff.

13 comments:

Angie said...

OMG ....were these folk actually friends and will you be able to speak to them again!!!!
I think your party sounds amazing ... wish I lived near you ... I'd gate crash.
I have always watched it but never had a party. I wish it was still all sung in the countries national language and we had a British star representing us as many of the other countries do.
Showing my age,my first memory of ESC were Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson with 'Sing little Birdie' Think it was lateish'50s and they were 2nd!!!

Angie said...

Had to pop back to say I had to check whether my memory was correct .... it was ... Yeah ... and the year was 1959.

Anonymous said...

I remember evenings when we first had a coloured TV and the neighbours and their kids came round for ESC and we made an evening of it. Not as fun as yours sounds.
Love the card too.
Lady nurse

SHEN said...

great card, love how you used the buttons and torn paper. just fab.

Tina said...

Love the card thank you for sharing

Jo Power said...

I have always scoffed at the ESC but only since I grew up and our countries entries went down hill but I did watch Bucks Fizz win with making your mind up.
I hate people who don't respond to party invites it drives me mad and I would (if brave enough) respond in the same way. You go girl.

Oh by the way the cards lovely.

Julia Dunnit said...

It sounds brave, but really the non-repliers can't have wanted to come because they weren't bothered at all, honestly...we are all still talking! I think possibly the horor of knowing someone that has a ECS party was too much for them. But then you have to come to find out,huh!

Lyn said...

Sounds like a fabulous tradition, and, go you for upholding it. AND cooking food according to the host country - amazing - and I would be there like a shot. It sounds like the best sort of stuff and nonsense and great fun. Some people obviously haveno idea what they are missing. I love the fact that the same medal from the lovely Miss Dunnit 10 years ago is still awarded, with or without the choccie bar!

Jazzy1972 said...

Awwww what a stunning card, I really love your work and your blog. Jay xxx

Sandie said...

Sadly enough Julia, the art of RSVPing has been kicked to the curbside. I wrote on the subject back on August 6th 2007 in my blog (read it for a good laugh) Title RSVP... it's French but what does it mean?. How hard is it to answer a yes or a no invitation? I personally like to give the hostess my RSVP within 24 to 36 hours of getting an invitation.

Ginny said...

my nephew got married on Friday and as we are standing there waiting for the bride to arrive my ex-SIL tells me they had only just gotten a text from someone who said they are on their way....no RSVP before this!!..she promptly replied with a text that said NO, you are not!! you should have replied over a month ago when you were first asked..
was a great day tho..I put pics on my family blog ;0)

Hope you had a fab party, I too would have loved to gatecrash..I don't watch the contest but the party sounds like a blast!!!

Claire said...

Another stunning card Julia.
x

Anne said...

I LOVE the Eurovision Song Contest! Your party sounds wonderful - especially the presentation of the ten year old medal.

As for rsvp-ing - incredibly rude not to, so I don't blame you at all for your text. It sounds like just the sort of thing I would do! No wonder they didnt have the nerve to reply to that either.

I was supporting Bosnia this year (I tend to just choose a random entry that I like the look of - I caught their act during the semi finals, and it was certainly unusual!)