Saturday 12 September 2009

Great minds....




The other day I referred to a trip round the craft shop - I bought some Christmas papers and card stock. Well that's not all I bought of course. Have you ever had that experience where you spot something you'd like very much, but you just don't need it and can't justify it? That was me, probably as long ago as Christmas last year when I spotted this album and the choice of page protectors - full page or divided for just photos or photos and journalling - whatever you like. Well, when this happens to you, do you ever find yourself subconsciously or otherwise creating a 'need' for whatever it is? I have to say this is not altogether uncommon for me, but I also have to admit that I know it's because I'm spoilt. However, I've been incredibly grown up about this album and waited until I needed another. And that day arrived and so I've got it. I'm attracted to the idea of mixing the divided pages with whole pages (this is hardly radical, but stay with me). For example, I have done (and you have suffered witness) to about 6 Prom layouts. I still have photos but they don't justify whole LOs to me (my cherub isn't in them, they're very close to the ones I've scrapped, I'm in them - you know). But I don't want to consign them to the file of unused photos never to be seen again, and some of them even deserve some journalling, so this is the perfect answer for me. I'm very happy that not only have I waited, but the wait has been an inspiring one. Now that, dear interweb is delayed gratification. I don't love the concept, but I appreciate the result.
So the reason this post is called 'Great Minds'? Well, that Helen Miles talent has discovered the very same page protectors and come up with her own idea for using them. Again, very happy to associate myself with this coincidence if I possibly can!


And actually, just to blow the whole delayed gratification theory out of the water, look at this bad boy. I bought it yesterday in Ikea, it was £8.99. (Well, 9.69 really - did you know they charge 70p for a credit card transaction?!)Clamps to the table - here you see it swung away from the table - just showing off! Am really pleased with it. Of course, I didn't pick up a bulb for it, so there is some delay in my gratification after all. I hear the distant splash as the theory comes back from launching and safely touches water!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my, that lamp is yum, i *think* i may need one! lubbing the album sweetie, i can't wait to see how yours turns out, i love the journaling cards thrown in aswell, lushness in an album methinks!

Carmen said...

Now that album is a seriously good idea. I have been thinking about getting more of my photos printed and not just storing them online because they never get looked at.

The lamp sounds like a bargain - apart from the cc charge so therefore justified ;)

Ginny said...

loving both those new purchases :0) and NO it's not a light sabre...lol...it's a lava ruler!!! the middle is like a lava lamp!!! lol...hope you and yours are having a FAB weekend! :0x

Ruthie said...

What a timely blog for me - have just decided that I really need a daytime lamp but looked at the prices and nearly fainted - but that Ikea lamp looks far more reasonable and I can just buy a daylight bulb to go in it! Thanks so much you have just saved me heaps!

Angie said...

Love the idea of mixing LO pages and photo/journal/ ?? pocketed pages ...maybe this will be a new trend ...brilliant for telling the story of an event like Miss D's Prom ...invites and tickets could be slotted in along side a pressed flower etc etc ...possibilities are endlwss ...you little trend setter you ...lol.

Annie said...

Love the lamp Julia. think thats worth a visit to Ikea but of course thats not all I would buy :-) A x

Unknown said...

Love the Lo mixing with odd photos and journalling idea! The lamp is pretty cool ... fancy not buying a bulb ... that is soooooooo ... erm .... like me really :0)

nerllybird said...

Hello Julia, I had to come and see your blog after you left a comment on mine. Love your lamp - but I got one that attaches to the wall and scissors in and out, or swings from side to side!!! Also from Ikea, only I got it brand new in a car boot sale for £1. And I had a bulb to fit it, in the cupboard. So! Haha! But seriously, the child I wrote about also jumps up from the table every five minutes. And once, on holiday when we were about to go out for an expensive evening meal, he sat down and ate a huge bowl of cereal because he never waits for anything. And then left all the expensive food. God, I could go on...and on...and on....x