Monday 11 January 2010

It's such a challenge..

I always thought that I liked a challenge; unless it involves running a marathon, well OK - leaving my work room, then I've sort of been up for it. I mean the lovely-harmless-not-painful card and scrapbook challenges that can be found all over this section of the interweb. Last week I mentioned that I wanted to do a LO to enter a challenge, and there are a couple of cards I want to have a run at. I've failed dismally at all three this weekend. I can't quite grasp the 'match the criteria and get on with it' thing. I'm fiddling and faffing and assessing whether what I'm doing will fit the 'style' that I associate with particular challenges, or worse, trying to make something that every last person who sees it will like. Impossible! I am in other words, being challenged by the challenges! Isn't that odd. They're entirely voluntary, no-one has to enter and indeed, aren't I the first to stand up and shout about not letting your card making style become generic and crafting to and for your own satisfaction? I think I am. So why the pressure? I do not know. It is ridiculous; it's not as if I enter so many challenges that I'm in some spiral of confusion (well, not over paper craft challenges anyway!). Actually, one of the reasons that I don't enter many, more often none at all, is the number of them out there. I don't have challenge fatigue or anything, but wow, there are a lot now. Ginny used to have a whiteboard to list the days and challenges and deadlines of the ones that she liked to try, and I can see why...Ginny has five children and I am still in awe of the fact that she crafts at all. Another prodigious challenge entrant is Chrissie, she posts more than once a day showing beautiful cards that frequently enter multiple challenges. This is challenge management on a scale that I dare not contemplate. After all, I've only just got the better of my scrap box! Anyway, as usual, now I've had a whinge, I feel like I could do some card making. Stand back everyone, I may manage more than just talking about it today!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

To challenge or not to challenge ... I used to be mad about challenges ... entered them daily ... but now I tend to start a challenge ... walk away ... get carried away ... not in a physical sense I might add ... forget the challenge and make something that does n't fit the original remit ... but who cares ... tis all good fun ... erm ... I think :0)
Love that card!

Anonymous said...

About to clean your sissors as well by the look of it. Is this another delaying tactic??? I am full of those.
LN

Annie said...

Never forget life should be full of enjoyment Julia. If you like what you're doing then do more of it but if you don't then stand back for an hour or more and you will go back to it with fresh eyes :-)
A x
ps I have blogged my finished Poppy picture today and I'm so excited about it

Carmen said...

I think I've entered a total of 3 challenges/comps in blogland. For very many of the reasons you've just stated.

Love the colours in that card, especially the purple. Don't go generic Julia - I'll cry!

Kaz said...

Love the card, is it for me? I am becoming my mother!! It's shocking. I stick to a couple of challenges mainly as I know the people who are the DT (through t'internet) and I just don't seem to find the time to do any more, and I have no children!! xx

Lyn said...

Made me giggle, as always, and what a fab stamp on your card - I love it.

Challenges ..... hmmmmmmmmm ..... crafting ones anyway. One day, that may be me, but only when the real life and work challenges stop biting me on the bum on a daily basis and leaving me too cream crackered to attempt any voluntary challenge! Oh yes, God spare life, that'll be retirement, then!

Funny enough, though, following this very train of thought, I have actually been looking at card and page maps for the last week for some inspiration, which has actually helped. Which I suppose is the same principle as the challenges without the description "challenge".

DUH. Menopausal-much?

Unknown said...

OMG - I know now why I set myself up as a follower of your blog... I'm in a rut and I've only been blogging since last Sunday 3rd Jan... 2 days were off work due to snow (and I'd actually hurt my foot and WAS not going to walk to work - my blog refers to said incident), Thursday I actually went into work, Friday I was off with the beginnings of a chest infection and have been in bed either asleep or blogging ever since... And I'm right there with you - In my latest blog I actually all but apologise for not creating a card which either conforms to a layout or has a Penny Black or Magnolia image stamped on it... you have really hit the nail on the head.. hee hee

Paula xx

Chris said...

LOL re the challenges Julia :), mostly I tend to make a card I want to make and then see if any of the challenges will fit it, is that bad ;D? Sometimes they don't fit anything so I post it anyway. Love your card and that's a great stamp.

Susan said...

I love your card! Where did you get her from? Shes great!
Who cares what other people/challenges think! I enter challenges but make something I like - of course that may be why I havnt won many - but then I do them to stretch me - in a crafty sense ( I'm 5ft4!). As this craft thing is new to me, I find it encourages me to try new things!
Enjoy them - if you win something along the way then thats great too!!!
;-)
SuzyX

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Love the card Julia :) I often think I could take part in more challenges but very rarely do, especially as I'm a lady of leisure. The manin thing that puts me off is photographing and uploading pics - it's so time-consuming. Well I find it so, I don't know what others do but I always do a 'quick fix' (don't have any fancy software) and then resize and all that. If a card is flat I find it quicker to scan. Anyway I always try to do Hel's Sunday Stampers challenge 'cos you can do anything you like so long as there's a bit of stamping involved :) - many challenges are more specific. Anyway stop stressing about whether they'll be fit for purpose, if you think they are they will be, and remember you can't please all the people all the time - or however it goes!
Anne xx

Unknown said...

so Julia-are you gonna do the new prompt at http://useyourtype.blogspot.com/
LOL!

stephanie said...

LOL over the blog challenges... because i go through the very same process :)

Paige said...

You've so got your own style Julia and if anything you should be setting the challenges!!! I so miss SLYMI each week on UKS and so far this year feel i haven't done enough scrapping? I might have to make some cards to get things going again??? maybe tonight??

Chrissie said...

You flatter me Julia...
I enter challenges to try to let other people know my blog is around!
If I just post a regular card only a few faithfuls pop by to see it! By adding it to a challenge blog, via whatever tenuous link, it does tend to bring in a few more punters.
I make cards because I like the process and enjoy the result. I also enjoy the appreciation of others. I love the reaction of purchasers of my commissioned cards. We all respond positively to praise... an ethos I was more than familiar with when I was teaching. Kids respond to it and so do I!
Homily over!
Love this card and those stamps, I have one, she has no feet, but likes coffee!
Chrissie

Myzdamena said...

Goodness yes there are *so* many challenges about... I read people'sblogs and they say 'I made this card for these 5 challenges' ..... FIVE??!??!?? lol....

xxx

Ann said...

As you know Julia, I've pledged to enter more Challenges this year but I'm not going to stress about them! They are there for inspiration even if we don't make something that 'fits' the brief. Essentially I treat them as a starting point, and if I never did another Challenge I wouldn't miss them. But I wouldn't want to be without the many 'friends' I have made in blogland!