Monday 6 September 2010

Wanna chat about the Stazon?


A lot of notice was paid to my desk a couple of WOYWW's ago - I was using my newest investment - a metallic Stazon ink pad. It was what I would call a 'considered' purchase. I have longed for a metallic fast drying ink and this seemed to be the answer. Of course, the Brilliance ink pad range is well, brilliant, but they don't have the depth of colour that a true metallic pigment ink has, and so the Stazon seemed to be the only way to go. The most considered part of the purchase is the price, it retails at a price that makes you think you can live without it - just under a tenner, which is a lot of money. I don't mind telling you that I've approached the shelf several times and then 'changed' my mind because I wanted more to show for my money. Anyway I realised no-one was going to buy it for me, so I plunged. And I'm glad I did. It comes with an ink bottle as part of the package. This isn't a re-inker per se, the pad is dry and you need to add a couple of drops and use the included spatula to spread it across the sponge. It drags, it is definitely thicker and stickier than a glycerine based pigment ink, and without the plastic guard and some attention, it evaporates fairly quickly. I've been pretty mean and learned quickly when the pad needs re-inking. The bottle needs a really good shake. The stamp becomes 'sticky' and ink doesn't adhere to the card if the pad is allowed to become too dry. I had trouble with a direct to paper technique - in as much as I felt it was a huge waste of ink, specially if I decided to use a 'third party' - the sponge.
Having said all of that - it is permanent, and it is a great colour - as good as a metallic pigment for shine. I'm pleased with it, and will definitely be buying the gold too. But I think for me, it's a stamping tool and not an inking thing.
The toppest tip I can extend though - and I know you'll remember it because this is unusual coming from me: clean your stamps as you go. Doesn't need Stazon cleaner if it's immediate, a baby wipe or such will do. If you're using clear stamps, clean the blocks immediately. I have a small block soaking in stazon cleaner - we used it at a workshop on Thursday and I didn't unpack and put away until Friday evening - I think it's a silver block now - scraping with a knife and scrubbing with Cif hasn't helped! It may flake off in further use - I will report back!

25 comments:

donnalouiserodgers said...

hmm - fab review - thanks - can you tell me if a martha stewart punch is worth the dosh?

everytime I pick one up I have second thoughts before I pay & I am too mean to 'plunge'

Dx

Sew This N That said...

Beautiful card Julia!
I haven't used stazon for years (since I started with copics) maybe its time for a revival :)
I am with Doone on the martha's I would sooner spend money on spellbinders, you get more for your money :)
Have a great day babe :)
*hugs* Heather x

SDCrafts said...

Gorgeous! If you can produce ll your Xmas cards to that standard of quality and design, I reckon you'll have spent an excellent just-under-a-tenner! Thinking would be great if QVC ran a kit of these...

Esther said...

I have the Gold Stazon and it is fabulous - I wanted something to use on acetate for christmas but I thought long and hard before spending out - Very glad I treated myself. It's a rich, strong, lovely colour and I am seriously considering getting a silver too!! Esther xx

Carmen said...

Blimey - that's something I thought I'd never read - a Julia post TELLING us to clean our stamps :D

I think I need to be convinced more before I part with a tenner... but then am not such a huge stamper as most of you (though am slowly being swung round *g*)and when I do stamp - I'm to lazy to go buy ink so just use my paints. Sssssh.

Brilliant, considered review as always Julia :)

Karen said...

Being a stamper I have looked at this and wondered about it Julia, thank you so much for the advice. Its when you need a really strong ink and you just can't emboss because the 'image' is too intricate. mmm...methinks I need some now haha

I have a couple of MS punches, bought reluctantly because of the cost. Have to say that they are well made, very strong & punch cleanly. But as they are pricey I would be selective when you buy! XXX

Helen said...

Thanks for this invaluable info, I was wondering about these inks. I must admit I've got a white Stazon that came with bottle to use on the pad as you need to and don't really like it, but then I don't use it much so it probably just dries out all the time.
Great review, and top tip from the no-clean queen.

JoZart Designs said...

Thanks for the excellent review. Interesting tips and lots of info on the product. I might now think about it if I have need for it.
I haven't invested in Martha Stewart punches as I don't think I'd use them enough. Let's face it, a butterfly punch is around £20 and just how many butterflies do you need. You could buy hundreds and hundreds of ready cut butterflies for £20, yet it is one of the most desired MS punches.
JoZarty x

Kathy said...

ooooh that is expensive isn't it? But I like the sound of it and with You-know-what coming up I'm sure it would come in useful. I may be back for tips.....

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an excellent review of the new Staz-on metallic ink. I'm not a stamp pad kind of gal, so I would prefer the re-inker, but I this might be the best of both worlds.

I always clean my stamps (you know, the anal one) and I use 91% alcohol to clean anything solvent based from my stamps. Not sure these inks are the same, but you might give it a try if you can get the product. Regular rubbing alcohol is 70%, but they should be next to each other on the shelf of any drug or big box store (like WalMart or Target, if you have them).

As for MS punches, I got two at half price recently. I've never cared for MS, believing her products are simply overpriced. But I did splurge on these punches and I'm glad I did. All my other punches are hard to use, even the expensive ones, and they stop punching cleanly after a few punches. But I've been putting the MS punches to the test and they are awesome, don't stick like other punches, and produce a clean image. As much as I hate to admit it, they are really good punches, even if MS put her name on them.

Mary Dawn said...

try cleaning your clear blocks with one of those Mr. Clean magic erasers, they work great for regular stazon

Lothian Crafts said...

Great card I love the embossing and the metallic stamping is fantastic.

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Oh I am mortified as I haven't even opened mine which are the desk, and have been for more than several weeks:(, actually it could be months!! hangs head in shame.... I am so glad you have used one, and thank you for your honest opinion.. I am going to open mine NOW!!! lol

misteejay said...

Thanks for the review - price is still a factor here for me.

With regard the MS punches...I love them and have a number of "round the page" sets - I have been lucky enough to pick up quite a few during promotion weekends at my LCS - I use the punches a lot both for cards & scrapbooking and can only recommend them for quality & ease of use.

Toni :o)

Victoria said...

lovely card - thanks for the tip x

Unknown said...

get you cleaning your stamps straight away - never thought i'd hear that advice from you!!! Great review, but I think that for my limited need of such ink/colour, i'd use versamark and use silver embossing powder.

Cheers,

Paula x x x

Claire said...

I haven't tried the metallic stazon but will be exoerimenting with the white one later today, I can never get the stuff off of my acrylic blocks, so I now have 2 of each size, one set for staz-on & one set for less stainy inks
C
xx

Minxy said...

huummmmm interesting... i too have been tempeted by these pads but like you say there not bloody cheap.. maybe one will fall in my basket while at ally pally at the end of the month lol

Eve said...

Thank you for your review on this product. You are right, I luv Brilliance but it doesn't give the depth in colors. I chuckled when i read;" Anyway I realised no-one was going to buy it for me, so I plunged." LOL!

MadeByKarla said...

thanks for the review! It's really helpful. I've considered the gold and silver many times, but since I don't stamp that much, I figured I'd stick with brilliance for now. I think mine would get sticky and dry in between uses!

For Doone, I can only recomend the martha stewart border puches or punch around the page sets, I have some and I love them! the shape punches seem very over priced even here in the usa.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. Still not sure. I think I'll have to wait till I can think of a dozen different projects to use it on!

NEEDLEWINGS said...

I have only ever used black stazon. I guess I have to expand. Looks great!

Mandi said...

Thanks for the heads up ion the new pad!
I never got on with the 'white' which had that little bottle design. Sounds like it is better than that was though from what you;'ve said!

Maybe.....lol

mandi xx

HalfRaven said...

Thanks for all the information, inspirations and distractions!

Neet said...

Thanks for the review - interesting and thought provoking. Might just have to wait until I go to America and try one a bit cheaper.