Friday 28 March 2014

It goes around and comes around..

Where have I been?  Here.  But with not much to say, so I said nothing.  Thanks for asking - really, everything is normal.  As I shall now prove, by typing the hind legs off the donkey...
You forget don't you that however much stash you've got, however many years you've been doing it, there are people who are new to it, and they've missed the first go around in the circle for what ever product....take this card for example...


When I posted it a couple of weeks ago, I commented that using my Brilliance inks to colour the flowers made me feel that I'd gone all retro - I had truly forgotten how lovely the Brilliance inks are and really enjoyed playing with them.  I hadn't for one moment considered the retro-ness of the Mulberry paper!  At Japonica's workshop on Monday, many people hadn't met it before and had to be introduced to the wetting and tearing to create the feathery edge - I was surprised, and of course, again, reminded that every product has it's time off the circle and in the spotlight...but it's temporary.

I've had to play with chalk and black card to prepare for a workshop making cards in the Chalkboard style.  








Soon got bored with that. Really, apart from the investigation of White inks and White embossing powders, its a single technique. 











So I made some cards using chalks too, trying to keep the style but add some colour....so, out comes the very old palette of chalks..


Magenta's Owl, Kaisercraft's text.  Gobbly eyes and chalks from century old stash.
It's funny what goes around and comes around isn't it.  Some sexy new packaging and possibly a signature line and suddenly we're all using something we tried and tired of some time ago.  But that is the circle of craft and hey, sections of my stash are being revealed to daylight for the first time in a long time, so I'm not complaining - just observing, really. 
I make a point of not looking at CHA or sneaks...I figure that my wish list stays in proportion and by the time I do see new stuff, other people have used it all and ironed out the bugs and figured out the best practice.  Idle, huh!  No change there then.  Now, considering my desk is untouched from Wednesday, which was untouched from Sunday, I really have to go do some tidying and cleaning.  If I'm gone for more than three days, send in the stash hunters will ya?
Have a lovely weekend.




28 comments:

mamapez5 said...

That top card is so pretty. I used mulberry paper recently as a blanket under a baby, and got similar comments of 'What is that? I haven't used that for years!' etc. I't a good thing we crafter's don't throw anything away. What goes around, comes around...
The black and white chalk board isn't really me, but I love the owls in any medium. Kate x

Crafty Lark said...

I do like all three Julia, love to see old stash being used. I think I would be gone a lot longer than 3 days if I tackled mine. xx Flora

Annie said...

Guess this is why we keep old stash Julia....it comes out like new after a few years rest :-)
Hugs,
Annie
Ps thanks for your lovely comment today x

Sandy said...

I love the owls and enjoy using mulberry paper love your wreath you made.. I did get carried away with the Gelli plate but have been making lots of things with all the prints.. I find there is nothing better than having a stack of pretty paper to use.. I did pop a picture at the bottom you must not have seen of the aftermath..
Sandy :)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Love it all! The roses, white ink and owls!!! love! Did I say love?

shazsilverwolf said...

Completely agree about the mulberry paper- I fell in love with it when I first started- I think I cornered the world market! I have tons of the stuff, and rarely use it anymore. But you did get me using Brilliance inkpads again- I'd forgotten how much I loved them when I first got he bug. Alcohol inks. There's another forgotten treasure- even Tim seemed to forget them for a while, though I noticed he has finally added 6 new colours to the range Can't find them anywhere over here yet though. Those are coming out again, especially as I just bought myself the blender pen, lol. Hugs Shaz xx

Unknown said...

I have lots of stash too that I haven't used for a while...maybe we need to do a WOYWW with products we haven't used for over a year lol. Have never used Brilliance inks..what's so good about them?
Have a good weekend.
Dawn x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

You are so right the Brilliance inks are lovey and I still use mine and have had them for some years yet they are still good.
They have a lovely sparkle to them.
I had to smile when you mentioned about the signature line as Tim Holtz has just brought out the new spritzer tool in black which I used with my children at school probably 15 years ago and still have some that have never come out of their box lol! however they are green and blue but who cares!
Happy crafting, Angela @ Felix the Crafty Cat x

Sue said...

Really pretty first card. the owls are cute and the mans card is spot on.

misteejay said...

Love the cards Julia.

Things do seem to go full circle. I remember being so excited to be able to cut alpha letters using my Quickutz - then everyone was using electronic cutting machines...seems the current trend is back with the dies and there are some fab ones around. However, perhaps I should just dust off those oldies.

Toni xx

misteejay said...

Love the cards Julia.

Things do seem to go full circle. I remember being so excited to be able to cut alpha letters using my Quickutz - then everyone was using electronic cutting machines...seems the current trend is back with the dies and there are some fab ones around. However, perhaps I should just dust off those oldies.

Toni xx

misteejay said...

Love the cards Julia.

Things do seem to go full circle. I remember being so excited to be able to cut alpha letters using my Quickutz - then everyone was using electronic cutting machines...seems the current trend is back with the dies and there are some fab ones around. However, perhaps I should just dust off those oldies.

Toni xx

Helen said...

You are so right! I uncovered some trays of chalk the other day when looking for something or other (I forget what!) - and yes, loved mulberry paper, have loads in all kinds of colours.... maybe you'll start the trend off again...

terry said...

This question falls right in line with your blogg lol...did u stamp the owls with Versamark then dust the chalk over them??

Ali H said...

I do so agree about the pleasure of find ingold stash and rediscovering It! I plan a real spring clean whenI geta chance! Ali x

Ali H said...

I do so agree about the pleasure of find ingold stash and rediscovering It! I plan a real spring clean whenI geta chance! Ali x

Eliza said...

I feel like I've had a blast from the past, lovely owls too and I am with you on the chalkboard technique, it's just another technique.

I will look out for you in a few days, if I have to I will fly over and yank you out.

Hugs Eliza

Ann B said...

I never got on very well with mulberry paper, it didn't look right when I did the 'wet and tear' so I threw mine out. Usually, when I bin something it comes back in fashion straight away :-)

Belinda Basson said...

Clothes, furniture, fashion and crafts all go round in design and product circles...there are only so many wheels that can be re-invented! Love this post as I just took out my little chalk block set the other day like it was a new discovery and played all afternoon with it! As for mulberry paper, I hear you. I have to teach someone about it every time I use it in a class, not everyone has seen it before or known how to use it if they have!

Jill said...

Love the owls. Thanks for the projects & great ideas at Japonica, it was fun playing with the inks and mulberry paper.
Jill

Mrs.D said...

You have been having fun haven't you. Love the blackboard, and that stamp is wonderful.
Ah, the Mulberry paper, made a lovely card there, lovely stuff, but I tried to buy some the other day, got some very funny looks. Maybe it will come back soon.
The owls are good too.
Don't do too much tidying,
Chris

Carole Z said...

Love all three Julia..I think there is something strangely satisfying about using old stash :) Carole ZX

Darnell said...

Oh, how fun to see mulberry paper on your card, Julia! We must all get some kind of brain wave in this sport to bring certain products back into the spotlight at the same time as other crafters! I used MP not long ago and have just finished a post to be published tomorrow for a card that has mulberry paper on it! Kinda spooky that!! But a good kinda spooky! Hugs, Darnell

Robyn said...

You make me happy too,and i love the owls
nothing new under the sun!
Beginners mind!

Claire said...

Lovely creations Julia. Everything comes full circle in the end doesn't it.
C xx

Sharon Madson said...

Love you philosophy! Also, enjoy your use of stash. It makes me want to dive into mine. :)

Tracy said...

You are so correct in what is old is new again.
I have seen a few things that others have shared as new and I remember doing them many years ago ;)
Or even repackaging with a new name.
Your projects are so pretty.

Shoshi said...

Deeply satisfying, isn't it, discovering old stash and giving it a face lift with something new! I am sure we all have stuff that should be seeing the light of day again. I particularly like the floral wreath card - really pretty.

Shoshi