Monday 7 December 2015

Bang on (last year's) trend, again

The business side of our life requires one or two gift givings at this time of year. We are thankful for returning customers who go a long way to maintaining the roof over our heads! I realised yesterday that having wrapped the gifts, they could do with some labels to identify us as the grateful givers. 
That JOY is gold mirror card. It really is.
I broke out another new die. Well, I got it (again) in the Sizzix sale earlier this year, so it's definitely only new to me. I expect it to be at least from last year's designs if not older.
It's quite big - just under 12.5cm (5") square. Not entirely conducive to mass production if you want to use A4, but that's OK, because I was using scraps anyway, hence the mix and match-ness.
That JOY is a much nicer red than it looks. It really is.
I was going to mount them all on green stock to keep a consistent Christmas colour theme, but they looked so good (to me!) against the Kraft that I'd accidentally laid the mirror card on that I just carried on. I think if you have the TH easel die, these would be great. Also of course, you could use them on 6 x 6 cards without any trouble. Would make quite a stencil too. It cuts really well, which to be honest, I wasn't expecting after my trials with the reindeer die!
That JOY is a nicer red than it looks and no longer
has a dirty O. Really.
The real bonus is the supply of individual JOY letters allow you to emphasise the JOY. Of course, it takes half a syringe full of silicone to stick down, but that's OK, I'm getting used to it. Shaz - I must have an uber sensitive smell system...it is the Pinflair glue that I'm using and I think it smells horrid! Now these are done, I want to play some more with this die. It's taken me longer to write this post than it did to cut and make these card/tags. That makes it an ultra useful die. If a little cheaty on the handmade front? Discuss.

10 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

I don't see dies as a cheat at all! You picked the card, put it in the machine, whizzed the handle round... how much more handmade do you want it to be? ;) Love this die... would make a heap of lovely cards in no time at all!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I would give my left boob for a die cutter machine and die, so I don't think it's cheating at all. I certainly could never cut anything this beautiful by hand. Very impressive (and JOYful) cards, too.

Chrysalis said...

Hi Julia - I bought that one recently, too, and have been wrestling with it a bit. But I have been using the 'joy' separately - it looks really good if you use a snowflake die for the O. Have fun xx

Sue said...

Love the die. Definitely not cheating. Sue

Helen said...

Cheating? Die cutting is cheating? yikes... love these as labels - and of course we all believe you about the red O..

misteejay said...

Die cutting could never be considered cheating - this is just a tool like a craft knife. Love the cards Julia.
Toni xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

The way things are going I'm all for being wee bit "cheaty" on the card making front. It's still handmade! So there! Great card and I love the emphasis on JOY. Also, I swear I can smell that glue from here.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Love this die too, haven't seen it before. I could be another use for the Stik It paper !!!

jill said...

So not cheating Julia . Also a good way to use up scraps of paper & card .

Robyn said...

you might try the double sided tape sheets for your diecuts, instead of glue. easy peasy. Elizabeth Craft Designs makes them, as well as Stick-its, and some other folks. mount your paper on to the sheet, run it through, remove the backing and away you go(glue!)