Monday 28 December 2015

Extras

So sometime in November, my sweet Mother In Law admitted that buying all the presents was beginning to be a strain and that we needed to be very specific about what we'd like so that she didn't experience stress over it. I suggested that actually, at my age, there is very little that I need, so hey, give us a miss...we see them regularly, enjoy their hospitality frequently, we don't need presents. But that idea went down like a lead balloon. So I suggested that there were a couple of craft pieces I'd like, I could buy them on-line and Mr Dunnit could 'sell' them to her to wrap up as a gift for me. This was a good idea. Ooh err, it set me loose at Hey Little Magpie and I ordered the Heidi Swapp 'Memorydex' and a couple of dies necessary to its use. Either would  make a great present from Grandma and another member of my family could give me the other. I get something I really want and control the budget at the same time. Great plan. 

Except that by the time I'd ordered and they'd been delivered, (and if you know the shop at all, you'll know it wasn't long at all) the plan had clearly been forgotten and no one in the family was interested in giving them to me. I was a bit surprised but fully understanding...when you're out shopping, you sort of get that panic that makes you want to tick the list...so you buy the first thing. And that's what happened. I'm very pleased with what was first thing, by the way. Also delighted that Mr Dunnit said to just have 'em. I couldn't possibly allow myself that sort of treat so close to Christmas. So I wrapped them up and put them under the tree, to me from Mr Dunnit. Next year I might try it with a car......

14 comments:

Kathyk said...

Sounds like a plan then ... good luck with getting the car under the tree though!!!! You're quite right though, it does seem to get trickier as time goes on to come up with "brilliant" ideas for everyone on the list, doesn't it? Glad you pleased with that you got + the extra's, of course!

Happy New Year

Kathyk

Ohhh Snap said...

Great plan! : D

Barb said...

Well Santa brought you what you really wanted Julia hehehe! Happy New Year to you and the family. Barbxx

Carmen said...

Can you imagine if he'd said "send it back then!" Haha! It does look fun!

Helen said...

have to admit I wondered the same as Carmen! well done - what a plan!! Glad you had a good Christmas xx

Dotty Jo said...

Excellent plan... I might give this a go myself! Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is SO funny. I think it's a very good plan.

Since I've never heard of the Memorydex, I'll take your word that it's great. Two winters ago, I gave up asking outright (no hints involved, either) for the gelli plate. After three years of being disappointed, I finally had Bleubeard buy it for me, using my money, of course. Once I got it, it took nearly five months to even open the box. Used it once, hated it. Put it away for nearly a year. Used it a second time, hated it. Forced myself to use it again about five months later. Still don't like it, but I'm stuck with it, so will probably get it out again next summer. I hope your Memorydex is truly something you are looking for, because the car idea sounds far more sensible to me (grin)!

Sue said...

I am sure your hubby thinks you deserve those gifts from him.

Have a nice evening. Sue

Sue Jones said...

ha ha - sounds like a very good idea! - I have to admit, that i had to google what it was you bought :/ ( I know- where have i been!??) looks good and look forward to seeing your creations.

Alexandra MacVean said...

hahaha I had to chuckle about trying a car next year. :) Love this post and it made me smile ear to ear. Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas all the way around. :)

Judys Lace Creations said...

I had a good chuckle re the car comment!!

This year I asked for on-line classes, as I love to learn things, and couldn't think what else I wanted. I LOVE my gifts of classes!!It saves Kev from worrying about what to give me, and I have fun for a whole year! What a gift!!
I did journalling classes, and the next one starts in January.That's my Birthday present.
I'd say don't worry about putting the gift away. USE it NOW!! It's what you wanted, and you will have a whole year's enjoyment from it. I've not heard of that machine either.
Judy x

misteejay said...

I'll be looking out for the photos of the car under the tree...LOL
Glad you got stuff that you wanted.
Toni xx

HeARTworks said...

Love your stories Julia!!! And good luck with the car! Merry Christmas season! patsy

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I prefer buying my own gifts too. Having my hubby pay for it is even better! I'll try to fly that idea by Mr Smith for next year, LOL! You didn't say what the "first thing" was you got!