Friday 18 December 2015

here's the exception...

Yesterday I had half an hour at my desk. I needed the therapy; no craft deadlines per se and time to be productive without too much thinking.  Does that say a lot about my card making? Yessss, I think it does! It really was only half an hour because there's so much else to do at this time of year. But look at the desk. Chaos.
I am a firm believer in the 'it gets worse before it gets better' scenario. To de-clutter a room, you have to make a mess of boxes - bin, charity, storage etc. To decorate your Christmas tree involves boxes and bags all over the relocated furniture. Relocation of furniture involves some hoovering *cough*. Baking or cooking makes a hash of a beautifully clean and tidy kitchen, changing bed linen, digging a new flower bed..you get it. And if I'm alone in all this, then hey, more confirmation of my slovenliness, which you probably don't even need. My point (and there is one in here somewhere) is that all these things are the rule, aren't they? To make it all fab, you first have to make it all a bit grim. Not so at my desk. It looks grim when tidy. Unused and unloved, giving me no therapy. So its the exception. And I'm sticking to that.

8 comments:

Annie said...

Hehehe I'm chuckling at your post today Julia.....No one knows better about having to have the mess before it all looks fab than me :-)
We really do plan to have the 'fab' one day....just not yet :-) Also I am sat looking at all the decorating the tree boxes waiting for my little elves to come to decorate Nanny's tree [only yesterday Lulu said to her mummy how she can't wait " because she remembers decorating the tree when she was little"!....she is only little now bless her lol]. Enjoy making memories with all the mess and clutter my friend....I do :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When I'm doing a clean-up or organizing or decorating my home for Christmas, I know it's nearly finished when it looks its ultimate worst. It's all downhill from there. I totally agree with your philosophy, although I'm the person who has to clean up after each task. Call me anal, but I simply can't live with a mess. As for "hoovering" which we in the states call vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, etc., that can wait. What can't wait for me is the mess I make.

Different strokes, and of course, that's what makes each of us so unique!

Twiglet said...

Yep - I am with you on this - maybe I am just a messy person - but I am really good at making the chaos - just not so clever at putting it right! But - we know for sure that to get to a happy place we often have to get things sorted and clear the desks!! Enjoy a bit of crafty therapy! x

misteejay said...

Oh you made me smile Mrs D. I was looking at the mess that is my craft space only last night and wondering how I could 'hide' it all as I just don't have the energy to tackle it at the moment.
Toni xx

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

I agree with you entirely, which is why no-one will ever see the inside of my craft room . . . I have to pick my way carefully across the floor even! :O Have a great day and a lovely Christmas and New Year in 2016! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Sue said...

I am a neat freak:) However I don't think dg duties (Domestic Goddess) should take priority over crafting:)

Hope you've had a fab Friday. Sue

Helen said...

oh this rings so true! also explains why I don't do much in the way of decoration for Christmas (do miss a tree though!) hope we get to see the tree soon?? I may well be at home for Christmas so must do a bit of tidying (yikes) to make it look a bit less ahem... busy? ....

RosA said...

Oh yes, very true! Tidiness never happens here without first having a gargantuan amount of chaos!