Friday 4 December 2015

I wanna be a calligrapher

Honestly, is that even a word? Ask Suzanne of Quietfore Design. Its what she does. She wrote these. Then Elizabeth Crafts turned them into dies and they. are. perfect. The dies are available in lots of places across the world; indeed, Shopkeeper Gal stocks them. Stamps you can get from Oyster Crafts in the UK. I'm not being paid or indeed even asked to say these things, I just love them and want you to see what it is that I'm currently loving!
Stands alone beautifully, huh.

The wreath is by Woodware, and there is a bit of glitter. But it wouldn't matter, the text makes it for me.

You know by now gentle reader, that I'm not great at the slow stuff. I'm certainly not great at dies that cause lots of cutting or picking problems, so I really thought that this would be a bit of a chore type die. Not so. It cuts without a problem and holds together just long enough for me to move from cutting station to desk before falling into the correct pieces. Love that! Of course, it's the devil to glue. Glue pen for the flat, but if you wanna raise it...argh! But there's no avoiding it, a syringe and some silicone did the trick on the Blue die. Trick is to let the silicone grip of its own accord and not press the thing flat. Alright if you can be as light fingered as a light fingered thing. Less alright for sausage fingers....but I kept it in mind and managed a slight 'lift' off the base paper. Cor, doesn't silicone smell. I don't think I'll ever like using it, despite its obvious usefulness!

This is a stamp, as you can see. I think it might be my motto for next year. Then I can enjoy it and use it for the whole year! Stamps beautifully, crisp and clear, already mounted on good quality foam. As badly as I would like to be able to write like this, it takes practice and patience. And so I'll go on buying the stamps. You know me!

18 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Calligrapher is indeed a word hunny, and it was something I toyed with years ago, but I discovered that I simply don't have the skills or the patience, which is why I am loving the current crop of word dies and find myself wishing there was a wider range. These are fabulous, can see why you were attracted to them. Hugs xx

voodoo vixen said...

You chose beautifully, that is one fine calligraphied die! LOL!! Love that stamp too... would sort that problem I have about my cards only having fronts!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have a friend who writes like that. I am always in awe of her handwriting. Getting snail mail from her is like getting a plaque. So, I understand your love of these dies and stamps. I like the wreath card, but I think my fave is be naughty. Not how I would normally consider myself (OR YOU), but that's what makes it so humorous.

Sue said...

Loving the die. Cards are fab and I love the sentiment:)

Hope you have a fab Friday. Sue

misteejay said...

Beautiful dies & stamps - love what you have done with them Julia.
Toni xx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, I bought the Happy Christmas die, they are fab aren't they? For the smelly silicone problem, try Pinflair Glue gel. Exactly like silicone, without the smell. Comes in a big tube you can decant into aa syringe. Xxxx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, I bought the Happy Christmas die, they are fab aren't they? For the smelly silicone problem, try Pinflair Glue gel. Exactly like silicone, without the smell. Comes in a big tube you can decant into aa syringe. Xxxx

Ginny Maxam said...

I want to be a calligrapher too!! Oh my that is a beautiful die!! I'm pretty sure I will need to order one or two or all of them! Calligraphy is why I started rubber stamping. after buying all the tools, inks and practice pads and spending hundreds of hours practicing, I still heard, "what does that say"? Ugh. maybe I will mke out a christmas list!!
The Haughty stamp made me smile!!
thanks for sharing!!
Ginny M

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This is impressive - love your cards! Chrisx

Helen said...

I do too, but till then these dies are stunning - what gorgeous cards they make. Well done for not getting in too much of a pickle with the silicone (yes, hate the smell too!)

Robyn said...

Blush! Thanks Julia. What would we do without Suzanne and her pen!
So glad you are enjoying the new dies! More to come, starting Dec 15!

Sue Jones said...

Beautiful - I adore that stamp ;) xx

Unknown said...

I tried calligraphy and just don't have the patience to practice, I do love the die cuts. They give a rich quality to the cards.

Chris said...

Love the big dies but haven't bought any yet due to the imagined problems with gluing down so I was glad to hear how you got on with that. Have a lovely Christmas! x

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh Julia, I love this die. Have you ever tried Stik It...I just ordered some. It's double on both sides and you cut it with your paper attached. I'll let you know more about it after I use it. I love Quietfire items.

Neet said...

Love those calligraphy dies - wow, what a find they are.
Hugs, Neet xx

Quietfire said...

lol! Love your post - and love your cards! And I'm glad you love the dies. I'm such a chicken with real glue that I use glue dots most of the time! New dies coming very soon....

KVencel said...

I also LOVE Suzanne's calligraphy! Sigh. I belong to a calligraphy club in my area. The women in this club are beautiful calligraphers. Takes some practice & patience, which are very hard for me. I am always in a hurry! Lol
I like to use Ken Oliver's "Stick It" with my intricate dies. It is an adhesive sheet made specifically for die cutting. I place it on my cardstock before I die cut, then peel off the other backing piece to apply it. Works like a charm!