Saturday 3 December 2016

Naturally, it ends well...

I showed this to Jan earlier in the week to get her reaction as to whether it would be a good project to brag  blog about making for Baker Ross. She laughed so hard when I told her how I had reached this magical outcome, that I felt it only fair to share so that you can learn from my experience.
The box of 'Naturals' contained a reel of twine and I immediately decided to do something IN ADDITION to using it on cards and as the string for some cute bunting. Yeah, smart-arm...but what. Well you know, a browse through Pinterest sorted that...I decided to crochet with the twine. It worked a treat and I'm pleased with the transformed marmalade jar. Arty photography alert....
See, what you do is crochet a chain that will fit tightly around the neck of the jar. Slip stitch it together and singe crochet around again. Then, work a chain of a length that makes sense to the proportion of diamond you want....in this case it was 8 stitches. And then slip stitch it into every 6th space on the collar. Then go around repeating, making the slip stitch into the previous chain, at about the 5th position. You can tell can't you, that I didn't follow any instructions, or write down what I was doing. What you can't tell is that I found it very much easier to do it with the jar in position.  What you can't tell is that when I had smugly cast off and checked it was even and looked OK, I couldn't get the collar over the neck of the jar. Stuck tight. This jar cover is not coming off.
Ha! Quite funny that she crocheted a jar into its cover.
Not as funny as the fact that I hadn't thought far enough ahead to forsee that problem. So I hadn't soaked the label off. Cue much hilarity and some swearing. And an overnight soak in a saucepan for the whole thing. And me picking bits out of the diamond shapes with enforced good humour. For goodness' sake! Still, it's OK. And other jars will receive this treatment, am liking the 'grouped lights'
idea to sit atop the piano. Indeed my dears, and here endeth the lesson.


15 comments:

Annie said...

😂😂😂😂😂 thanks for the giggle. Hope you will link that up for Friday smiles.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I laughed so much because it's the sort of thing I'd do!
Xx

Sue said...

Hi Julia, What a fab outcome.

Hope you have a lovely weekend. Sue

shazsilverwolf said...

Julia, I can just see you and Jan in bits over this! Thank you providing some instruction, and a great deal of hilarity! Hugs, Shaz xx

BJ said...

Oh so funny, needed that. BJ

Helen said...

ha ha ..if I could crochet (BJ tried hard to teach me!) I'd love this.. the instructions still sound double Dutch to me... but I would probably also do exactly the same. It looks great though. Like Shaz, I am giggling at the thought of you and Jan in hysterics!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

It sounds like you didn't think this through LOL, but all's well that ends well and I love what you ended up with. Your jar lights will look great in a bunch!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This sounds exactly like something I would do. After all, hindsight is always 20/20!

pearshapedcrafting said...

If I could crochet this could have been me!!! Thanks for the giggle! Hugs, Chrisx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Well done Julia sounds like me and yes hindsight is a marvellous thing. Do like it.
Thanks for sharing,
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Darnell said...

I so love how self-deprecating (no, look again, that does NOT say defecating!) you are and how you inspire us to laugh at our boobs*. Label aside, I think you are a genius and I love this!! And I think you should have kept this first label on for the ultimate in rusticity AND to have a giggle-fest every time you look at it!! Love you! Darnell *Sorry, auto correct, meant booboos.

misteejay said...

This looks fabulous Julia and thank you for a much needed chuckle.
Toni xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

The lesson I took away from this was to hire someone else to make them for you. Do I get a gold star?!

Neet said...

Just what I needed, a good belly laugh. Great story and the sort of thing I can imagine myself doing. Glad it turned out ok in the end.
Hugs, Neet xx

sandra de said...

This is priceless. I think we all can identify with having done something very similar.